Updated 03/15/2013 01:40 PM
Four-alarm fire destroys UNCG residence hall under construction
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
GREENSBORO — Firefighters are trying to secure the walls of the Spartan Village construction site Friday to keep it from falling into the street.
They are still trying to figure out what caused a fire that started at 9 p.m. First responders say the building was empty and no one got hurt.
Thursday night. Thursday, people living along W. Lee St. could not believe what they saw.
"He said just look out the window and next thing I know I see flames coming out of the window and I say, 'Oh my God'," said Greensboro resident Sean Haycraft.
The Spartan Village construction site was on fire. Police evacuated the Lofts on Lee; a UNCG residence hall nextdoor.
"It's extremely hectic, a lot of people are looking and seeing what's going on and there's a lot of police officers," said Haycraft.
Authorities asked Chad Greene and his roommates to leave their nearby home.
"He was coming down to go to the house and they told him to tell us to get out. We Just pretty much grabbed our cats and left the house," said Greene.
Greene and his roommates watched from their car as nearly 75 firefighters with 20 different companies tried to contain the fire.
"It seems to be under control and isn't spreading to our house," said Greene.
The fire was under control, but not extinguished. Firefighters continued to spray water on the building Friday, while engineers watched over the outside walls to try and keep them from falling into the street.
There was still a bit of work to do before inspectors could get inside to start looking for a cause.
“As far as we know, nobody would be in there, and it's way to early to talk about causes. It's a construction building and there are flamable things in there," said a responder on-scene.
No one lived there yet, but it was supposed to house 200 students in August 2013.