Organizers expect big crowds for first Saturday of N.C. State Fair
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
RALEIGH--Big crowds are expected for the first Saturday of the 2012 North Carolina State Fair.
The first Saturday of the fair is usually the second most popular day to go, second only to the last Saturday, which typically has the highest attendance numbers.
The gates open Saturday at 8:00 a.m. and midway rides run from 10:00 a.m. until midnight.
The exhibit halls only stay open until 9:45 p.m., but that's one of the best times to be at the fair because that's when the fireworks will be launched.
To avoid the traffic and parking hassles, buses will be providing transportation to the fair, with park and ride lots all over the Triangle.
In north Raleigh, the lot is at the Old Westinghouse building on Capital Boulevard and there are also CATS bus stops throughout downtown Raleigh.
In Cary, there is a location at the WakeMed Soccer Park and in Garner at the McLaurin park and ride lot at 500 Chapanoake Road.
In Durham, there is a location at Durham Heritage Square shopping center, or the downtown Durham station.
In Chapel Hill, there's a park and ride lot at the Friday Center and in RTP at the Regional Transit Center.
Round-trip bus rides to the fair will cost between two and five dollars, depending on the location.
Adult admission for the N.C. State Fair is is eight dollars and kids six to 12-years-old are three dollars.
Children five-years-old and under, as well as senior citizens are free.
Military tickets cost five dollars.
News 14 Carolina anchors and meteorologists will be making appearances at the fair, at the News 14 Carolina/Time Warner Cable tent, next to Dorton Arena near the waterfall.
• Saturday, October 13: Joshua McKinney, 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. and Gary Stephenson, 2:00 p.m.-5:00
• Sunday, October 14: Pati Darak, 3:00 p.m.-7:00
• Monday, October 15: Tim Boyum, 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
• Tuesday, October 16: Gary Stephenson, 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
• Wednesday, October 17: Caroline Blair, 2:00 p.m.-5:00
• Thursday, October 18: Jim Connors, 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. and Lee Ringer, 2:00 p.m.-5:00
• Friday, October 19: Ryan Welch, 12:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. and Marti Skold, 1:00 p.m.-4:00
Saturday, October 20: Cheryn Stone, 12:00 p.m.-3:00