Prosciutto crusted chicken with melon infused salad
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
• 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (or 4 small)
• 4 thin slices prosciutto
• olive oil for sauteing chicken
• 2 - 3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
• 1 Tbs lemon juice
• black pepper to taste
For the Salad:
• 1/3 - 1/2 small cantaloupe, reseeded and cut into small cubes
• approx. 1 1/2 - 2 cups pitted fresh cherries
• approx. 6 - 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
• 2-3 Tbs chopped fresh mint
• mixed greens as needed
1. There are no exact amounts for something like this but you'll need to pit the cherries, chop a bit of fresh mint, slice some fresh mozzarella cheese and also scoop the seeds out of half of a cantaloupe, slice it lengthwise into sections, cut those sections crosswise, most of the way through into little wedges, then carefully run your knife between the fruit and the rind to remove the wedges.
2. At that point, add as many mixed greens as you like to a large mixing bowl and add the sliced fruit, cheese and chopped mint to that....but don't dress it until just before you're ready to serve it.
3. If the chicken breasts are on the thick side, cut them into cutlets before pounding them between two sheets of plastic wrap....until they're a little bit thinner.
4. Then top each one with a thin slice of prosciutto, put the plastic wrap back on top and pound it again to help the prosciutto adhere.
5. Next, add a splash of olive oil to a large, heavy bottomed nonstick on medium high heat and saute the chicken prosciutto side down.
6. Let the first side brown up a bit, flip it over and let the chicken finish cooking through on the second side.
7. Make sure you wash your hands really well after handling the raw chicken and, while it's finishing up, dress the salad.
8. Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil into it, squeeze some fresh lemon juice in, add a crack of black pepper and toss to combine.
9. Once the chicken is cooked to your liking, serve it up on individual plates with the salad right along side.
HINTS: The salad is great by itself for a light vegetarian meal.