It is easy to get your family excited about reducing, reusing and recycling with some simple crafts you can do right around your home. Here’s how to make a bird feeder out of an old milk carton and a reusable bag out of a t-shirt that no longer fits.
• Needle and thread
• Outgrown t-shirt
1. First, turn the shirt inside out. Then using the needle and thread or sewing machine stitch the bottom of the t-shirt closed.
2. Next, turn the shirt right side out and cut the sleeves off to create handles.
• Milk carton or other wax-coated carton
• Bird seed
1. Start by cutting a U-shaped section out of the carton. Be sure to leave enough room at the top and bottom so it remains sturdy enough for birds to perch on it and hold the bird seed.
2. Next punch a hole in the top and put some string through it so you can hang it outside, and fill with seed.
These are two very simple ideas to show you how you can give more life to items you probably would have thrown in the trash. And, it’s an easy way to show your family how you can always Do Your Part.