Cheese tortellini en brodo with broccoli, carrots and tomatoes
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
• 18 - 24 ounces cheese tortellini (fresh or frozen)
• 1 cup diced onion
• 1 1/2 cups peeled diced carrot
• 3 large cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
• 4 cups vegetable stock (see hints below)
• 1 cups water (plus more if needed)
• 4 cups small broccoli florets1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, sliced in half
• extra virgin olive oil for garnish
• grated parmesan cheese for garnish
1. Use a large, deep, heavy bottomed pot with a splash of olive oil to soften up about 1 cup of diced onion and 1 1/2 cups of peeled diced carrot.
2. After 4 - 5 minutes, when the onions are turning translucent, add 3 large thinly sliced cloves of garlic, cook those along for a minute, and then add 4 cups of vegetable stock and 1 cup of water and bring it up to a simmer.
3. The idea is to let that gently simmer along until the carrots are just about cooked through and, while that's happening, you can take a minute to cut 4 cups of small broccoli florets and also cut a handful of grape tomatoes in half.
4. Once the carrots are just about cooked through, add the cheese tortellini and the broccoli at the same time, turn the heat up, and let it gently boil along for 3-4 minutes and it's time to eat.
5. Ladle it into bowls and add some sliced tomatoes, add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and finish with grated parmesan cheese.
HINTS: Use chicken stock if you're not concerned about keeping this a vegetarian meal.